Thursday, January 1, 2009

Spin Cycle: A New Year, A New Me?

Heh heh heh. This week Jen over at Sprite's Keeper has us putting our resolutions out for the Internet world (ok, the 40 or so people that I know for sure read this blog on a semi-regular basis- Hi there!- and maybe a few wanderers by, I'm not in the big leagues) to see. No doubt she has also read or heard, as I have multiple times, that if you tell a lot of people about your resolution you are more likely to keep it. Because they will all SHAME you into it. Even knowing this I have chosen to participate although I don't, as a rule, make resolutions. Mostly because I am fantastic at procrastination. Given any situation I can probably give you several reasons to avoid immediate action. So what's the point of saying I'm going to do something that I'm probably not? But this year I'm going into this full force. I'm telling everyone I meet about this resolution, here I am posting about it, and I even wrote it down on an index card. That is some serious intent. We'll see how it goes. Ironically I expect to break this resolution for the first time tonight.

Of course there are tons of things I would like to do differently, but baby steps, friends, baby steps. There is only one thing I do that has an immediate effect on my health and is more likely to kill me than anything else.

I don't sleep.

Well, let me clarify that. I LOVE to sleep, and I can fall asleep 5 seconds after my head touches the pillow. I have lost out on a lot of back and foot rubs due to passing out before the husband can get to me. I just don't go to bed. Until really really late. My girls go to bed at 8, and since we both work full time, David and I spend every second with them right from when we get home until they go to bed. So from 8 until whenever is my chore time. And my free time. My precious meeeeeeeeeeeee time! And I get up between 4:30 and 5 for work. I have been surviving on 4 hours of sleep (sometimes less, once in a great while more) a night for a very long time. So the most likely reason that if I don't change my behavior I am going to die is the fact that I fight falling asleep all the way to work. I'm actually surprised that I haven't been squished yet. And if that doesn't happen, I'm sure the slow deterioration of my health will be what does me in.

So I'm going to go to sleep. Quite possibly at 10 pm every night. Which means I won't get a thing done. Which will drive me crazy. But it's gotta be done right?

That's my plan, I am good and resolved. Except for tonight 'cause stuff came up, but every other night. Really!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Casey said...

Oh how I wish I could sleep. That's a great resolution, I couldn't pull it off since it would drive me nuts to have to force myself to go to bed so early! Good luck and Happy New Year!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Happy New Year and a Spin to boot!
I love my sleep too and going to bed at 10 every night sounds wonderful. I think I'm gonna steal your resolution. And here's another resolution. I intend to have your girls over for a playdate soon! (You and David can come to if you want!) :-)

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I love it that you want to sleep. I love my sleep. My boyfriend gives me grief (the good, because he loves me just the way I am kind) about how it takes me 2 hours from the time I get up until I'm actually ready to tackle the day. But it's because I love to sleep, so I don't wake up just whahoooing for the day to start. This sounds like a great resolution to me. Good luck to you!