Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spin Cycle: Surviving the Madness

I cheated a little bit on this post. Normally when I participate in the Spin Cycle I don't read anyone else's Spin until after mine is posted because I like knowing that however I've spun the topic was purely my take on it. But tonight, my self imposed Spinning night, I found myself fresh out of ideas. Which really stinks because this is MY topic that I suggested to Jen. I know that at the time I suggested it I had something percolating up in my head, but after the week I've had I'm surprised that I can formulate sentences. Or even remember my name.

I'm an auditor (I don't audit taxes, so you can all stop hating me now), and it involves some pretty intensive staring at the computer. When things get crazy at work, the staring gets even more intense. Two phrases I used more than once today (pretty much to anyone who happened to inquire into my well-being) were "My eyeballs are bleeding", and "My brain has dissolved and is leaking out my eyeballs". Not so pleasant, but very descriptive of the sensations I was experiencing.

So, yeah. This week I've read quite a lot of the Spins, which has kind of cheated me out of my late Friday night/Early Saturday morning routine, but has been very enjoyable. The thing I realized though is that I don't have any good stories. Nothing to inspire you or help you through anything you may be struggling with yourself. I've made it through stuff but not in a deep kind of way.

1. I grew up with lack-of-money and parental job-related drama: survived by obliviousness and a love of reading.

2. I made it through high school: survived by having good friendships and the ability to get decent grades without studying as much as I should have. Also thanks to the Drama Club.

3. I made it through college: survived with plenty of pizza, Pepsi and mad skilz at multiple-choice tests.

4. I spent my senior year of college and part of the first summer after graduating planning my wedding: survived only due to extreme love for husband.

5. I did not kill my husband during wedding planning: see #4.

6. I moved to Florida for David's job when we knew no one down here and I reeeeeally didn't want to come: survived due to #4, also was suckered in by the December weather.

7. I had baby #1: Survived due to Dr. Mike the anesthesiologist who I will love until I die. The same goes for the inventor of the epidural.

8. I had baby #2: Survived only due to the extreme shortness of the labor and the Grace of God.

9. I am (co) parenting two cute little girls who never stop moving, working full time, trying to keep my house together and spend quality time with my hubby, all without enough hours in the day, days in the week, or weeks in the year.

I'm not sure how I used to survive, but I know how I do it now.

I blog.

7 comments:

Cristin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I too managed to survive high school with not a lot of studying, and college with not a lot of brain cells....

Camille said...

Isn't that the truth? I blog.

Good spin!

Sprite's Keeper said...

The ending is perfection! My best friend is over right now and we just read it together and both loved number 2 (we're both Drama Club devotees) and got the biggest laugh out of number 5. Brilliant! You're linked!

Anonymous said...

#9 is the icing on the cake and yes, takes a Survivor. You are one!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying to survive the daily madness, too. Blogging definitely helps.

Shangrila said...

Amen, amen, amen! The whole woking, parenting, wife-ing while maintaining a home is BRUTAL. We should all be given capes and tiaras, and we should wear them ALL THE TIME!!!

HeatherPride said...

Love the punch line!! I think that's how a lot of us survive!