Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Extra Random Ramblings

In some circles, Tuesday is not just one day closer to Friday, it's "Random Thoughts Tuesday" or something like that. There is one of those cute little blog buttons in existence to show it, but naturally I don't know how to put it up on here. I just mastered linking things for heavens sake! And in this paragraph I'm too lazy to even do that.

So my first random thought is this. I have a whole blog dedicated to randomness. At least all my rambles are random, right? Hmmm. My random rambles are really rockin'? Whoa that alliteration is heady stuff! So anyway, if I decide to regularly participate in Random Thoughts Tuesday, because I want to be like the cool kids, do I have to be unrandom the rest of the week? I'm not much of one for outlines and orderliness, although I am unreasonably fond of lists.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHidSyNF5-c is my new obsession. I really hope that link works. A guy I went to high school with, who recently became my Facebook buddy, apparently has a New York based company called The Striking Viking Story Pirates. They're an improv group that turns stories that kids have written into skits that they perform at schools, birthday parties, wherever really, complete with SONGS. Surely you can see why that appeals to me. Oh yes, you can. He was really talented 10 years ago and that doesn't appear to have changed. Excuse me while I go watch that again.

...

Back. So here's something I've been wondering. What's the expiration of appropriateness for eating seasonal candy? Some people think it is very cool to make Trick-or-Treat loot last until Christmas or later, others envision chocolate covered mold (or, of course, mold covered chocolate) as part of this scenario. How many days after Christmas is it appropriate to eat a candy cane? And conversation hearts from Valentine's Day are now 75% off. They haven't magically gone bad or anything, but how many weird looks will I get if I buy some and eat them at my office? The white Necco ones are the BEST. At 75% off, I could get quite a few boxes and toss them all except the white ones. Boy that's tempting. But appropriate?

How come my dad always let the girls play in the sandbox without long pants on, and then is surprised when sand gets all up in their business? I thought one plus one usually equaled two...

I don't like mangoes. I'm really quite sad about that, because heaven knows, I have tried to like them. I can be a little judgemental as a relationship heats up, but usually I warm up just fine and end up liking the thing I've tried to be friendly with quite a lot. Not so with mangoes. I've tried them as is, in smoothies, in sherbet, in salsa, disgustingly cooked up and served with fish. They are like slimy, extra tangy, sour cantaloupe and I really think that something is wrong with them. It's like the story of the Emperor's New Clothes and everyone is in on the joke except me. Of course I really love Lychees both fresh and canned, and David, the mango lover I married, thinks they taste like rotten grapes. Whatever that's about...

So, yesterday there was a familiar sounding commotion near my front door. I looked over, and sure enough, my cat Bailey was about to toss his kitty kibble. And then he did. I went to clean it up and there amid the debris was a completely intact, very dead lizard. I've discovered entire little frogs in situ like this, but usually I find the lizards in pieces. This was not a small lizard either, which is why Bailey had to work so hard to get it back up. Extremely disgusting and a situation where I was really glad my dad watches the girls at my house because I am Not Good with corpses. Especially only slightly digested whole lizard ones. And he Dealt with it for me. Ug.

So, I hope that was random enough for you. If not, well, try me again another day. I reeeeeally failed at keeping my New Year's Resolution last night. We won't put a number on it, but let's just say I stayed up later than I intended...

4 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I hope you linked over at Keely's site so she can see it! She has Mr. Linky over there and you just plug your info in and it puts you right up. She also has the code for the button, which you can copy and paste in the html screen, if you have one. I have no idea on that one. Love the ramblings, but then I always do! Blue hawked up a good one last night which even had John disgusted. And it takes a lot to disgust John..

Keely said...

Chocolate doesn't get moldy. It just gets that white stuff, which is perfectly safe to eat. Trust me, I checked.

Also - a whole lizard? GROSS. My dog tried to eat a dead squirrel once but of course it was too big so then I had to pry dead squirrel out of her mouth. Because somebody trained her extremely poorly.

Wait - why do we have pets again??

Glad you could join us, and you hereby have my permission to be random on other days of the week, too. Clearly, you've already done that ;)

MB said...

*I love, love, love the striking vikings! Thank you SOO much for introducing them to me. They remind me of the guys at www.happeninc.org They are awesome! Basically, they do arts with kids. But, part of it is, they have a "laboratory" where kids come and make their own toys out of recycled toy parts. It's amazing. Look at them...seriously

Rachel said...

Misty! They are completely awesome! Thanks for telling me about them! Why aren't there cool things like the Happen guys or Story Pirates in Florida? It's just not FAIR.