Thursday, September 17, 2009

Spin Cycle: Let me count the ways...or at least the things...

Hate, huh?

I wasn’t sure what direction to take this spin. I thought about doing one called “10 things I hate about…a certain big box store that is not, and never will be Target”, but, well, with the quantity of cereal my husband eats, it's not like I'm never going to shop there. So that seemed kind of silly.

Back in 4th and 5th grade my friends and I used to make lists of things we loved and hated on pages and pages of wide ruled notepaper. I’m pleased to report that the lists of things we loved were a lot longer than the list of things we hated, and the things we hated were very innocent, and kind of sweet. Things like squash and a certain kid in our class who liked to try to strangle people. Tests. The days the cafeteria ran out of cheese rectangle pizza and only had pepperoni. Someone giving you a red Sunkist Fruit Gem instead of a white one. That sort of thing.

And I could make lists of the things the girls hate .

Elizabeth hates:
Being told no.
Having to go to bed when she is. not. tired.
The thought of peanut butter.
When her sister takes her toys.
Not being able to fall asleep in a minute and a half.

Lilli hates:
Being told no
Having to go to bed when she is. not. tired.
Any meat other than chicken. Except when she's trying to mess with me.
Getting water in her eyes.
Sticky hands.

Their lists of things they love are also way longer than the things they hate, and that hasn't changed for me either. And I even hesitate to make a short list of things I don't like because the one thing I remember the best from my elementary school experiences with negativity? After writing one of those lists my friends and I were cranky for the rest of the day.

I think I'll throw caution to the wind though. It's almost the weekend. And I like to play fast and loose on the weekend. I guess.

Current things I hate:
Needing to get up at the crack of Dawn
That David is always still fast asleep when I'm going out the door.
When I'm running late, and stop for breakfast at McDonald's and they forget to give me a straw, which causes me to hate
Having to drink a fast food drink out of side of the paper or Styrofoam cup.
Paper or Styrofoam cups. I like plastic. No funky taste for me, please.
An egg and cheese biscuit that has a crunchy biscuit. Blech!
Getting almost to work and realizing I have forgotten something important.
When the air conditioner is not working at my office.
The fact that it is economically impossible for me at this moment to hang out with my girls during the day, even though I like my job (whoops! I let a little positivity sneak in there!).
Having my lunch stolen. Interestingly, that hasn't happened since we had some layoffs several months ago.
Going out on my lunch hour, only to find out that everyone, their mother, and the rest of their extended family have all decided to go to Panera at noon and there is no parking to be found and a line out the door. For PANERA!
When my car decides to act up.
Florida heat.
Specifically the heat from a searing hot steering wheel that would make it very possible for me to engage in a life of crime since my fingerprints have to be pretty melty by now.
Most kinds of heat actually.
Also most kinds of cold.
The nights when I just want to lay on the couch, but I still have to make dinner and be a decent mom.
Being approached by salespeople at stores when I'm just browsing, and not being approached when I actually need help.
Being talked to by people I don't know online. I don't care if its Yoville or WoW, I always say to David, "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, make them stop talking to me!"
The fact that there are not enough hours in the day or days in the week for everything I want or need to do, even with me barely sleeping. And obviously that doesn't help me be more functional.

One thing I don't hate though? The Spin Cycle. Head on over to Sprite's Keeper, read some posts and maybe work up a good cleansing rage.

7 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I LOVE your lists! And can commiserate with a good number of them except for WoW. No wait, I can. I have been "offline" on Facebook recently since there is a "friend" from my old days stalking me there. Every time I get on, I get hit with an instant message. Annoys me to no end. And Panera at Noon? HATE! (But now I'm closer to Target and Five Guys, but can't eat at Five Guys and has that place never heard of a salad? Argh!) Yeah, I'm done. You're linked!

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

My ex husband used to lay in bed while I got up early to go bust my ass with 12-16 hour days. And then he never understood why I was too tired to cook for him when I got home in the evening. I really hated that! Or maybe, I just disliked it strongly!

Your lists were good. No kids here, yet! But I'm thinking on it, so your list was really fun to read!

Laufa said...

Just un-friend those people you don't want to talk to ever. Or just write I can't talk right now. What is Five Guys? Must be a FL thing, I have missed a lot since we moved to the Midwest.

Rachel said...

I should clarify that I don't mind people I know talking to me on Facebook (well, I do if I'm just hopping on to check something, otherwise its good), we're friended for a reason. It's strangers trying to play tic-tac-toe with me that stress me out. eeeeeeeeeee.

Anonymous said...

I should've done a hate list. You inspired me. : )

Casey said...

I dig the list. I can't stand when the forget the straw either and I abhor styrofoam cups. Also, being told no (which I stole from your girls' lists).

MB said...

I hate a lot of words. Like, "moist" and "putrid". Yeah. And, I hate several things on your list.