Friday, May 8, 2009

Vacation Day

I can't remember the last time I took a day off work and it actually felt like I was on vacation. It is almost always because I'm sick or someone else is sick or I need to be somewhere. But my in-laws are visiting, so David and I took the day off of to spend it with them. And we went to the beach! For people who live less than an hour from several beaches, we don't go very often. In fact, the last time we were at one was last October when our friends from Wisconsin were visiting. Come to think of it, that was also the last time I took a day off work purely for fun. This every six months thing is not cool with me.

Anyway, it was a BEAUTIFUL day today. Hot, of course, this being Florida and me being heat intolerant, but I had a big hat and 60 SPF sunscreen and there was a breeze. Ahhhhhhh, a breeze.

Here is Lilli wearing her hat for the first and last time:



Here Nana is starting to document the day. It was gorgeous:
Lilli seemed to enjoy the freedom to run wild:

Have I mentioned it was a beautiful day? I have? Well, it was:

Every time we go to the beach it takes Elizabeth a few minutes to remember that she likes the water:


The beach is, of course, the world's largest sandbox:


Here's Elizabeth getting braver:


I suspect that the waves looked huge to the girls:

Building a sandcastle with Daddy:


She wouldn't wear her hat, but she sure liked mine:

Worn out, wet, a little bedraggled, sunscreen wearing off. Time to go home!

We did amazingly well as far as sunburns go too. I, who will burn through high SPF sunscreen in about 15 minutes, re-applied frequently enough that I'm only slightly pink. And the girls, who have fair skin that seems to be on the hardier side like their daddy's, for all that it is baby soft and pale, emerged pretty much unscathed. You can tell that they were completely slathered in sunscreen except for two spots. Elizabeth's back, right above her swimsuit line, and the cutout spot on the back of Lilli's swimsuit. We somehow didn't put any on those spots at all. Fortunately the girls, as I said, take after daddy, and definitely got burned, but not badly. If it would have been me I would have blistered. *sigh*
Anyway, it was a great day, and we're looking forward to the rest of the weekend!


*****side note****
I'm always a little apprehensive of Mother's Day approaching. Something to do with a pile of unreasonable expectations I may have built up but not conveyed to my husband since he is, of course, expected to read my mind...
But guess what came today? The most beautiful boquet of sunflowers that I've ever seen. Yep, he's racked up a whole boquet's worth of brownie points!

2 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Aw, Happy Mother's Day! Flowers are always a nice surprise. Hope you're enjoying your long weekend!

MB said...

YAY! I love the pictures and, mental images of you putting on buckets of sunscreen. Just think, you'll be healthier for it! :)