Sunday, April 26, 2009

If it looks like the flu, sounds like the flu, acts like the flu, does that make it Swine Flu?

There's an article on MSN today: "US Declares Swine Flu Public Health Emergency". I'm sure you've heard about Swine Flu. Even I, who lately have had my head under a rock (or that's what it feels like), have heard a ton about it. And with two small children (even though I read that its mostly affecting the healthy 'prime of life' people and not the kids or the elderly), I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a little worried about it.

For more on the latest info, check out that article (provided that link works, otherwise- the magic of Google can be yours), but one key line says: "Symptoms include a high fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat and respiratory congestion."

I read this just a few minutes ago, which is highly ironic because we've been home all day with a child whose symptoms include a high fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat and respiratory congestion. Yay! Ok, her fever isn't super high yet, but she's getting that look that says we're in for some kind of fun tonight. Oh, and guess what? Lilli's getting a fever too. It's low, but that's how its starts. Isn't that fantastic?

Normally I would be mildly concerned but would feel quite comfortably on top of the situation, armed with Motrin for the fever, Tylenol for the aches and pains, Popsicles for the sore throats, and plenty of tissues and videos for the rest of it. But because of this latest CDC announcement? Yeah. I'm going to be worried that it's not just the flu, it's the pig flu. And I have no idea if I should treat that any different than the regular strains. I can see I'm in for an afternoon of research and that their pediatrician might be in for an interruption of his weekend!

Hopefully your evening and night will be better than mine promises to be!

2 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oy! So, if I'm Jewish, will it hopefully skip me and the Sprite? John may not be so lucky, but we keep Kosher style in the house, so he's kind of an honorary, right?
I hope the girls feel better soon!
(Sprite is a little congested today. Bad sign?)

Rachel said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!