Friday, April 16, 2010

Spin Cycle: The Word of the Day is "Different"

My child pleases me. All the time, of course, I'm a proud mother, but sometimes I have extra little moments.

I wouldn't say we are homeschooling her or anything, but we do a lot of activities that could be called "educational". We do work sheets and flash cards, and oh yes, did I mention that she can read (Only 2 hundred times or so probably)? It's pretty easy to do these things with her, because she genuinely likes learning right now, and is always asking us how to spell words, filling pages with printed letters (that don't always actually spell anything due to her love of spelling phonetically), and looking for "matches" and things that are the "same" and "different".

So the other night I was looking at a magazine. She came over as I was reading a page that had an ad for a woman's weight loss product. It has cartoons of two women, who are mostly identical, but one is large, and one is thin, and the gist of the ad is naturally that you will look like the thin woman after using their product.

Elizabeth immediately pointed to the women in the ad and said "Look mommy! They're different!" I thought "Oh no! My child is starting to notice things like body type! Is she becoming judgemental? Does she even know the words for these body types? What word will she pick for the larger woman? FAT? WHAT DOES SHE THINK OF MEEEEEE?"

Hah. I should not have worried. Out loud I said "Oh yeah?", and she answered "Yes! That lady has a FULL water bottle, and that lady's bottle is almost EMPTY!"

----------

This has been posted in participation with the Spin Cycle over at Sprite's Keeper. To read more words about words, head on over there!

3 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

We were in Walmart last week and Sprite looked over at a girl in the aisle and said, "That's a big girl, Mommy." I think she meant the girl was bigger because she was older, but the girl was also on the heavy side, so she may have taken it differently. I was stumped with what I should say wondering if she really did mean the older variety, but if it was possible she was going after body size..
You're linked!

Stacy Uncorked said...

That's too cute! And what great observations skills she has! :)

crissy // mama boss said...

Very observant, and cute!
Thanks for stopping by, and for your comment. :)