Wednesday, August 6, 2008

F-L-O-R-I-D-A. That Spells "Bear"!

This was something my two-year-old said this morning while she was getting her diaper changed.

Side tangent: Yes, she'll be three in September and she's not potty trained. So shoot me. If you ask her she clearly says "I don't want to use the potty, I pee in my diaper!" Bribes don't work, threats don't work, let her run around bare bottomed and she holds it indefinitely. She's got my number and she knows it. Because her lack of pottying, when she has all the skills and can perform perfectly fine when she feels like it, totally stresses me out. So I'm trying to play it cool. I have a chart on the wall opposite the potty with a picture of Dora's backpack (a toy she wants desperately), stickers handy, a cute potty seat or three, I casually mention all her friends who use the potty, and that's where I'm leaving it. My mother keeps reassuring me that she won't go to college in diapers. I wonder though. If she can find someone to change them...

Anyway. She's been able to say the alphabet and recognize all her letters since she was around 20 months old. She also counts (to thirty!) and sings (the entire first verse of the Star Spangled Banner on key among other things) and does random other smartypants stuff. She's just now getting interested in spelling and what letters make up words even though she has been able to recognize a couple words on sight for a while. And she names every business we go by on our way down a major street in our town. I think that's just a memory thing though. So, she always wants me to spell words for her, although the only one she can do on her own is Wal-Mart. That's spelled W-A-L-star-M-A-R-T in case you were wondering. But she THINKS she can spell. This morning my dad handed her a stuffed beanie bear that happens to be bright orange and have "Florida" on its tummy. Hence the title of this post.

No comments: